Interesting quotes about emotions from "Designing Emotions" by Pieter Desmet:
- emotions is the felt tendency toward anything intuitively appraised as good (beneficial), or away from anything intuitively appraised as bad (harmful).
- now, emotions are best treated as a multifaceted phenomenon consisting of: behavioral reactions, expressive reactions, physiological reactions, subjective feeling.
- feeling can be recognized by looking to the emotional expressions of the person.
- emotions are a multicomponent entities which are: expressive reactions/ smiling, physiological reactions/ heart rate, behavioral reactions/ approaching, subjective feelings/ feeling happy.
- characteristics of the product emotions are: personal, temporal, mixed.
- all emotions are preceded and elicited by an appraisal. An appraisal is a non-intellectual, automatic evaluation of the significance of a stimulus for one's personal being.
- appraisal mediates between products and emotions.
- different people appraise products differently .